Photobucket
Friday, January 21, 2005
Captivate my heart, dear Jesus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The miracle of approachability

Rabbis prided themselves on being unapproachable. They thought of themselves as being so close to God that common sinners--lepers, the unclean-- should not be allowed to get too close. The irony is that the only rabbi the leper could approach was God himself.
What quality did Jesus have that the other rabbis did not? He was eminently approachable. Not just with lepers. This happened on a regular basis with the prostitutes and tax collectors and gentiles. The more religious the rabbis became, the more unapproachable they were.

We face the same problem. We know it is important to be holy, so we begin to try to impress people with our theological knowledge or moral purity to reinforce our own sense of spiritual superiority. If we keep it up, it isn't long before we, too, become unapproachable.
When I was growing up I often thought that the more "spiritual" a person was, the more unapproachable they were, that holiness involved a certain rigidity and sterness and distance. But in Jesus, we see that true spirituality always makes a person more approachable, not less.

One of the most important questions I can ask myself is "Am I becoming more or less approachable?" How available am I to the people in my little world? Do I sometimes pause to put a hand on the shoulder of the people I work with, just to let them know I'm glad they're there? Am I getting better listening to people without judging them?


The miracle of the touch

Jesus touched the leper before he healed him. He touched the leper while the leper was still unclean. Jesus did not need to touch the leper to cleanse him. All he had to do was "say the word". The word healed his body, but the touch healed his soul.

In a contagious world, we learn to keep our distance. If we get too close to those who are suffering, we might get infected by their pain. It may not be convenient or comfortable. But only when you get close enough to catch their hurt will they be close enough to catch your love.
Sin and suffering are not all that contagious. Thank God. So is enthusiasm and laughter and faith itself. Get around someone who has them and you discover they're catching. Contagion works both ways.

We live in a contaminated planet on every level. It should be quarantined from heaven. But Jesus is not a reasonable God. He became a human being, he took on your uncleanness and mine. But instead of the world infecting him, he infected the world. With his immaculate infection. It's still spreading.

It's just a matter of time.


-- Love beyond reason

-----------------------------------------------------------
Eveline pops at |10:49 AM|



Eveline Tan. purplepots@gmail.com


Diary Archive


*March 2004*
*July 2004*
*August 2004*
*September 2004*
*October 2004*
*November 2004*
*December 2004*
*January 2005*
*February 2005*
*March 2005*
*April 2005*
*May 2005*
*June 2005*
*July 2005*
*August 2005*
*September 2005*
*October 2005*
*November 2005*
*December 2005*
*January 2006*
*February 2006*
*March 2006*
*April 2006*
*May 2006*
*June 2006*
*July 2006*
*August 2006*
*September 2006*
*October 2006*
*November 2006*
*December 2006*
*January 2007*
*February 2007*
*March 2007*
*April 2007*
*May 2007*
*June 2007*
*August 2007*
*September 2007*
*October 2007*
*November 2007*
*December 2007*
*January 2008*
*February 2008*
*March 2008*
*April 2008*
*May 2008*
*June 2008*
*July 2008*
*August 2008*
*September 2008*
*October 2008*
*November 2008*
*December 2008*
*August 2011*